Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:25:36 -0400
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV Support for sd and st Devices (was: time for some new man pages)

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 10:44:54PM -0700, Thomas Dean wrote:

> Is it possible to restore sd and st support just to be compatible with
> other operating systems?  Even if FreeBSD core members do not want
> them?  Is this even a consideration?

What other operating systems? The only ones I can think of are
NetBSD and OpenBSD, and I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed
the CAM code soon anyway. The name of the drive device is going to
be at least OS specific, and really it's host specific (think about
wd versus sd), and will continue to be that way until the Unix
world unites under a common GPL'd standard.

The name change may have been gratuitous, but I can't really object,
since the old devices work just fine. Besides, if you figure that
the IDE code will end up under CAM in the future, it makes sense
to call it `da' instead of `sd'.

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@rcn.com>
``And when one of our comrades was taken prisoner, blindfolded, hung