Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:46:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Vlad Tudorache <vladtudorache@home.ro>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I have a problem!

--zbGR4y+acU1DwHSi

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:38:52AM -0000, Vlad Tudorache wrote:

> I'm using FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE with two systems. Both have VIA
> chipsets - the older KT133A (my parents' home) and the "newer" KM266
> (my home). For both of them I've compiled specific kernels, with
> ACPI support. KT133A works perfectly - no errors, warnings or
> anything of this kind. With KM266 there is a problem: fdc0 is NOT
> detected, for the kernel cannot reserve I/O ports. With ACPI
> disabled, on the other hand, USB subsytem reports various errors -
> restarting one or more ports, then giving up with controller
> configuration. The GENERIC kernel you provide works well when apm0
> is off (the ASROCK MB I use has only ACPI), but it has no ACPI
> support. What can I do (in order to have ACPI, fdc0 and USB working
> well)?

[ Format recovered, as Greg says.  Pressing the return key is good for
your Karma]

Other than waiting patiently, I don't think that there is actually a
good solution to this problem right now.  Turning on ACPI support
kills access to the floppy drive on quite a few motherboards and for
most available system versions. =20

There was this thread on freebsd-current@... quite recently, which
offers a glimmer of hope that a fix is on the horizon, but no
indication when, or indeed, if, anything will be MFC's to 4.x:

   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-June/028938.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20