Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:21:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@penx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Embedding a RCS token in uname -i

I have kernel configuration files (e.g., a custom GENERIC) under RCS. For
example:

==============
# $Revision: 1.1$

cpu             HAMMER
ident           GENERIC
==============

I want to add that "1.1" to the end of GENERIC such that it becomes:

==============
# $Revision: 1.1$

cpu             HAMMER
ident           GENERIC-1.1

Therefore, a uname -i becomes:

btw> uname -i
GENERIC-1.1

My goal is to provide a mechanism where I can identify that kernels built
on a group of machines are running the same kernel built from a
configuration under RCS.

How can I customized the current config and build mechanisms to accomplish
this? Is there some other way to accomplish this? Is it a dumb idea?