Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 15:50:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      hostmaster@iMars.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/27756: irc (ircd) 2.10.3 silently quits at startup leaving no debugging traces

>Number:         27756
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       irc (ircd) 2.10.3 silently quits at startup leaving no debugging traces
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The only IRC server available from /stand/sysinstall from that 4.2 box is called irc-2.10.3 so that's what I installed.

It was compiled with /usr/local/var all over, but a symbolic link in /usr/local fixed that for now.

Still nothing when I start it (yes, the configuration file exists. Though you'd think it'd complain if it was missing!)

When NOT starting ircd with the -s option, iauth gets started as per /var/log/messages, and then exists "Broken pipe". This is because ircd just dies, it starts iauth allright, but then dies.

When calling ircd with the -s option to skip iauth, NOTHING. And I mean 100% void. No log files get touched, stdout/stderr are mute. -o doesn't start local mode either, and removing its config file doesn't even make it complain.

I'm at a loss. Has anyone actually used this port?

>How-To-Repeat:
Install port irc-2.10.3 on a 4.2-RELEASE box.
The one I have was obtained from ftp2.freebsd.org.
Access to the machine will be provided if necessary.