Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: calcru: negative time: XXXXX usec

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Michael Porter wrote:

>      I sometime get an error of
> calcru: negative time: XXXXX usec
> Usually there will be a few of these in a row when it happens.  The most
> recent, there's more than 3 screen fulls of them (via dmesg) and I
> noticed that every amount is smaller than the preceeding one.  I must
> mention that I am overclocking my Pent 75 MHz to 90 MHz.  Is this a big
> deal?  If it's not because of the overclocking, what can be done about
> it?

There are a variety of things that cause this message.  Usually they are
the result of a process, device, or the OS blocking the real-time clock
interrupt too long and this messes up the resource calculator's values.
It's possible your clock crystal is wigging out at the higher frequency
too.  The messages themselves are harmless, just annoying.