Date:      Sat, 30 May 2009 18:05:14 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gerald@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Patch] Proposal: USE_GNU89 switch

On Saturday 30 May 2009 16:21:52 Ed Schouten wrote:

> Really, I really don't care how it's done, whether it's a flag or added
> to the compiler flags directly. I'm just saying adding it to CFLAGS
> directly sounds like a very bad idea. Adding it to /etc/make.conf sounds
> even worse, because it probably only confuses (autoconf) scripts that
> try to figure out a way to make the compiler speak C99.

Are there any edge cases of (antiquated) ports that (indirectly) use
bsd.sys.mk and as such get hit by:
    11  # the default is gnu99 for now
    12  CSTD            ?= gnu99

In other words should one clean CFLAGS of -std before applying the forced one,
similar as to what WITH_DEBUG in ports does for -O*.
--
Mel