Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:21:03 -0700
From:      john@ece.arizona.edu (John Galbraith)
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        randal@comtest.com, dufault@hda.com, mike@smith.net.au, FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, john@ece.arizona.edu
Subject:   Re: new GPIB driver

    Mike> I don't like this at all (as I pointed out to Randal).  GPIB
    Mike> is a bus, and it should be treated like one.  The GBIB
    Mike> driver should provide GPIB I/O services to a set of
    Mike> peripheral drivers (consider SCSI as an example).  ioctl()
    Mike> is not good for I/O.

OK, I might take another shot at this.  I do see your point.  I will
try using the lower 5 bits of the minor number as the GPIB address
(with the 32 address being some sort of "global" control device?).
Bits above that will encode the card.  Any flaws with this idea?

I am not very familiar with the SCSI driver.  (I just got my first
SCSI machine ever a month ago - I like it, too).  But now that you
mention it, I see that GPIB is set up the same way with the bus
controller and then any of a multitude of possible devices can be
hooked up to it.

I think that the peripheral drivers should be implemented in userland,
IMHO.  Would there be any advantages to those being in the kernel?

This is really great getting feedback from you guys - let me know any
other suggestions or concerns you might have.

John