Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 16:50:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        geoff@schwing.ginsu.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I/O woes.

Joe Greco writes:

> > My configuration is pretty standard.  I'm using an older 486/33 with 16
> > megs of RAM and ISA bus.  The ports are all controlled by 16550s.  Do I
> > have to do anything special to get them operating with the 16550s
> > properly?  I've got one modem hooking me to the internet via 28.8 modem
> > and two dial-up 14.4 modems for user access.  Kinda a micro ISP.  ;)

You should have little trouble with this ..

> 1) you should ALWAYS use hardware flow control unless you have a REALLY good
> reason not to.  REALLY good, as in, the device you are talking to doesn't
> support it.

That's the ONLY reason not to.

> 2) note, I don't know if the current getty in FreeBSD will allow you to set
> this up "right".  I've used my own severely hacked getty since the later
> days of 386BSD/earlier days of FreeBSD because there was tons of lacking
> functionality.  Part of this was to add "proper" hardware handshaking
> support because there was no gettytab flag to turn it on.

I use mgetty because it does this and more .. it allows me to set the modems
so that they don't auto-answer if the machine's down - saving my customer's
phone bill connecting to a modem with nothing behind it.

There's another motivation, however. All three -current machines I run
accept inbound fidonet calls .. mgetty is the only getty (that I know of)
which supports this.

These machines are a 386DX/40 (Opti 386/WB), 486DX/33 (UMC) and 486DX2/66
(SiS) .. all fitted with 16550s and at least 16 meg of RAM. The only machine
that gives me trouble is the 486DX/33 .. it will overflow the 16550 FIFOs if
sio.c is left in "standard" form. Dropping the RX trigger point to 8 (line
1841 in -current) solved the problem. Another nit with (apparently)
memory/cache timing on the same machine is yet to be fully resolved.

All of them feed several newsfeeds with V.34/V.FC modems and are fed
themselves via ISDN. Generally speaking, it works and it's proven to be more
stable than the commercial platforms I've used in the past,

	michael