Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:32:36 -0500
From:      Babak Ashrafi <babak.ashrafi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   long idle times

I recently upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE without any problem other than
this: I have an external USB HD. It literary takes minutes to mount
the ufs volume on the drive. There is more than 100G of data on that
drive that was written about a year ago. That would have been FreeBSD
4.6 or 4.7, I think. After more than 24 hours of copying it back using
tar, only 8G were copied and I gave up.

Iozone gives perfectly respectable read and write numbers for the USB
disk, but there are long long long pauses between each read or write.
When I test my internal disks, there are no such pauses.  I have
similar problems with an USB CDRW and a CF reader.  In all cases it
eventually works, just unusably slow.

Here is the relevant part of dmesg:
usb0: <OPTi 82C861 (FireLink) USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: OPTi OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

Is there some configuration I am missing?  Any advice much appreciated.