Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:59:30 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        deeptech71@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

On 30 March 2012 17:57,  <deeptech71@gmail.com> wrote:
> C. P. Ghost wrote:
>>
>> Not clearing /tmp on reboot has been
>> the norm for way too long and it is too late to change now.
>

> We either evolve or be in a stalemate forever.

No, you do it in a sensible, controlled fashion.

You make it really easy for people to turn on tmpfs by default. Some
distributions of FreeBSD may pick that up, some may not.

You have some people run with it, find out what software breaks and
start issuing fixes.

You aim to have that particular default deprecated in a major release.
You make it really easy for users to switch back. You point out that
/tmp was never designed to be persistent across reboots, we're now
making sure that's the case.

If you feel so inclined, you can add a configuration step in
sysinstall/bsdinstall, to let the user choose.

The next major release after that, you flip the default to /tmpfs.

/var/tmp/ is documented to persist across reboots on a normal system.
That require much more discussion. You're changing the default
behaviour.

Adrian