Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 11:26:16 -0400
From:      Matt Impett <M.Impett@flarion.com>
To:        "'freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   source MAC address

Hello all,

I am implementing mobileIP in user space on freeBSD and was curious about
something.  In order to do mobileIP IP address assignment, my process on
freeBSD has to be able to receive an IP packet and learn the source MAC
address that it came from (I am sure that the packet is only going one hop).
I have been able to do this using the BPF device, but am concerned about a
few things:
1)  When using the BPF device, the IP packet still goes to the IP stack, and
since I am no longer listening on the UDP port number, a ICMP port
unreachable is sent.  I guess I could us ip_fw to fix this.
2)  When using the BPF device, I am bypassing the IP stack.  Therefore, I am
losing things like reassembly, IPSEC, etc..

Is there another way to get this info up to an application without using
BPF?

Likewise, I also want to be able to force IP packets out to a particular MAC
address, regardless of the IP destination address of the packet.  Once
again, I know BPF can do this, but then I have similar concerns to the ones
above.  For example, what do I set the IP ID field to??  If I accidentally
match an ID field that the kernel has used previously, then reassembly could
get confused on the end host.

thanks a lot,
matt