Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2022 07:52:36 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Franco Fichtner <franco@opnsense.org>, Ben Woods <woodsb02@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, emaste@freebsd.org, Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org>, roy@marples.name, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>, brooks@freebsd.org, cy@freebsd.org, Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Import dhcpcd(8) into FreeBSD base

In message <CACA0VUicpWgOjdxkLM0DmiX94M2OaYnEns9BbCfz9_Z5VQ_CVA@mail.gmail.c
om>
, Doug Rabson writes:
> --00000000000019ac6805e5a1cb9a
>
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 at 08:08, Franco Fichtner <franco@opnsense.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > > On 7. Aug 2022, at 7:31 AM, Ben Woods <woodsb02@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Reason: ensure fresh installs of FreeBSD support using DHCPv6 and prefi=
> > delegation to obtain an IP address (not supported by dhclient or rtsold).
> > Having it in ports/packages could be problematic if people cannot obtain =
> an
> > IPv6 address to download it.
> > >
> > > Why dhcpcd vs other DHCPv6 clients? It=E2=80=99s well supported, full f=
> eatured,
> > included in NetBSD and DragonflyBSD base, and is now sandboxed with
> > capsicum. The other DHCP clients tend to either not support DHCPv6
> > (dhcpleased) or are no longer actively maintained (wide-dhcpv6-client).
> >
> > Having worked on dhclient and rtsold in FreeBSD and worked with it for
> > years
> > in pfSense/OPNsense the proposal here seems to be to throw all progress
> > away
> > that would definitely have to be rebuilt in the years to follow for the
> > all-
> > in-one (?) replacement.
> >

> I'm not sure what the problem is here? I'm using dhcpcd client in my home
> lab with pfsense acting as dhcp and dhcp6 server and it works great,

Agreed. I've been using dhcp6 here for years, because I want to assign a
static IP to my laptop.

I like to give my laptop a static IP (for IPv4 and IPv6) when at home but
don't care when I'm away from home. Our current options in FreeBSD have
supported my preference for years.

> including prefix delegation. Choosing a new dhcp client in FreeBSD
> certainly doesn't require {pf,opn}sense to use that client.

Downstream projects often add, subtract, or replace FreeBSD components. I
too don't understand why a special case needs to be made here.

> > For OPNsense we did fork strip down and improve wide-dhcpv6 over the year=
> s:
> >
> > https://github.com/opnsense/dhcp6c
> >
> > It could use more work and cleanups, but basically all that is required i=
> > bring it into FreeBSD and use it to skip a long trail of said future work
> > both
> > in dhcpcd and putting back existing perks of the current dhclient and
> > rtsold.
> >
> > The basic question is: what's not working in dhclident? How is rtsold
> > inferior?
> >

> Main thing that's missing for me is dynamic dns - my dhcp server updates my
> local DNS using ddns. This works well for ipv4 and I've been using it this
> way for years. For ipv6, rtsold is limited to handing advertising the local
> prefix. Using dhcpcd for both means I get both A and AAAA records in my
> local DNS which makes me happy.
>

> > It seems like "It=E2=80=99s well supported, full featured, included in Ne=
> tBSD and
> > DragonflyBSD base" incorporates none of the real world concerns for
> > migratory
> > work so for the time being I don't think it's a solid proposal, also
> > because
> > it will cause heavy downstream disruption in OPNsense/pfSense in a few
> > years
> > as well.
> >

> Again, not seeing the harm for either OPNsense or pfSense - these
> distributions are free to choose another client.

My opinion as well. I need to see a solid business case why what we have in
FreeBSD base needs to be changed and how any proposed change will benefit
all FreeBSD users, not just one depending distribution. Right now I just
don't see it.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>