Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2012 03:16:10 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Giant lock gone? (was: Re: ...focus, longevity, and lifecycle)

On 01/18/2012 16:58, Dieter BSD wrote:
>> The original goal for 5.0 was to completely remove the Giant lock (and
>> do other cool SMP-related stuff). Eventually it was realized that this
>> was too big a goal to fully accomplish in 5.0 (albeit too late in the
>> process) and the goal was changed to do the basic framework for the new
>> SMP model; and lay the groundwork for "some things run under Giant for
>> now, and we'll remove it from them ASAP." That actually turned out to
>> last through 6, making 7 the realization of what 5.0 was supposed to be.
>
> So you are saying that the Giant lock was completely removed in 7.0?
>
> 8.2 says:
>
> atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

Yeah, I think nitpicking minor details about Giant still being used on
non-critical drivers is definitely the key to solving the problems that
face FreeBSD today.

I could have more thoroughly clarified the reality of the when/where/how
of Giant but it really wasn't central to my point.

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.