Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:28:19 +0200
From:      Irvine Short <irvine@sanbi.ac.za>
To:        irvine@sanbi.ac.za
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd video playback problem on IBM A21p

Irvine Short wrote:
> I have X 4.3 and KDE 3.2 working fine on 4.10 from the 4.10 CD.
>
> However both mplayer and vlc mess up badly - I get the left hand half of
> the video stetched to full width for both. The sound is really choppy too.

Well, a spot more googling revelaed that this happens too under Linux
for some folks. It was said to be a bug in the accellerated X driver for
  ATI chipsets. I upgraded X to 4.4 and now all is well. The sound is OK
for vlc when I use it with artsdsp but everything is a touch mangled
when I put it in full screen mode.

Will keep you all posted.

Thought - this mailing list seems awful quiet. Does this mean that most
folks have little trouble using FreeBSD on their laptops or that not
many people try it?  It hasn't been plain sailing so far compared to
desktops for me and I've been using FreeBSD for years & years.

-- Irvine