Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 17:39:36 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

On Tuesday, 30th March 1999, John Preisler wrote:

>As for sound cards, the same principle applies.  Flip through the pcm
>driver's list of supported sound card chipsets.  I chose the turtle
>beach malibu, an isa card based on the cs4237 chipset.  The pcm driver
>supports this card just dandy, and all your windows games should
>handle it just fine too.

To better support games, I bought a Diamond MX300 and surround sound speakers.
The result is amazingly good for Windoze games, but it isn't even detected
under FreeBSD.

The manual claims there is hardware SoundBlaster Pro support, and under
Windoze the usual ports and IRQ are used.  Does anybody know how to activate
this mode under FreeBSD?  I'm not after fancy surround sound with FreeBSD,
just a bit of background music from CDs or MP3s.

Stephen.