Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:41:34 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vendor import questions

On Monday, September 24, 2012 5:31:37 pm Brooks Davis wrote:
> As part of switching to NetBSD's mtree I plan to import their versions
> of a few files that are part of libc (for example all the bits of
> vis/unvis).  I would like to do that via a vendor import, but I'm unsure
> where to put the files and how to tag them.  For mtree itself the right
> place is clearly base/vendor/NetBSD/mtree/dist, but we don't seem to
> have a good example for libc bits.
>
> There is currently a base/vendor/NetBSD/dist directory containing a
> (very) partial source tree, but it seems to be unused in recent times.
> If I did import into that tree, the next question would be how to tag
> the import.  The base/vendor/NetBSD/fparseln_19990920/ directory shows
> one seemingly sensible example, but I don't like the resulting explosion
> of top level directories.  I also worry that having mixed versions in the
> libc directory would make any attempt at sensible merging difficult
> since we'd have to put mergeinfo on files.
>
> An additional issue is where to put the files in the source tree.
> Precedent seems to favor direct copies to src/lib/libc/gen etc.  In some
> ways I think the optimal solution would be to put the bits in contrib
> in feature specific directories like contrib/libc/vis, but that might
> be annoying for some consumers.  That being said, the existence if
> src/include means you can't simply check out libc so it's probably ok to
> add more locations in the source tree for a good cause.
>
> What's the right way to go here?

libc already has contrib bits (contrib/gdtoa).  I think something like
contrib/NetBSD/libc/<foo> might be fine.  The problem I have with just
'contrib/libc' is that it is ambiguous.  OTOH, the contrib/NetBSD/libc
path isn't too pretty either.  One option would be to merge directly from
the vendor area into src/lib/libc.  One other option might be to just
do src/contrib/vis if it is only for 'vis' files.

--
John Baldwin