Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:18:15 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: removing the article about zip drives

On 31/10/2012 13:35, Chris Rees wrote:
>>> - no one uses ZIP drives anymore
>>
>> Not so! Not often, but there is data on Zip cartridges out there, the same
>> as there is on floppy disks. I come across them about once a year, but I'm
>> nerdy like that.
>>
>> Whilst the article in question could benefit from an update, its the best
>> there is. I wonder if 64-bit Windows is capable of working with some Zip
>> drives any longer. This is another good reason to use FreeBSD.
>>
>> I have a collection of pretty much every Zip drive ever made (and some still
>> work!); I could try out the instructions and see what still works.
>>
> You may have a point, but it's unfortunate for your argument that you
> chose to compare Zip drives with floppies-- we have also removed the
> floppy installation instructions....
>
> Chris

There are parallels (no pun intended) but software support and
documentation remains for reading and writing (some) floppy disks. At
least I assume it does. Anyone who knows about floppies is likely to go
to the man pages, but there are none for Zip AFAIK.

Whilst it's true to say than no casual user is likely to try installing
from a floppy disk, and probably won't be writing to a floppy disk, they
might well want to recover something from one (remember, Verbatum gave a
lifetime guarantee!)

The problem, as I see it, is that if you remove the documentation, the
ability to read Zip disks goes with it.

Incidentally, I have a Zip-250 USB which I use for reading all disks
now. I haven't tested it on FreeBSD. I think there's a better-than-even
chance of it working. The vpo driver is a bit esoteric. Hmm. I wonder if
I can make it work with the Iomega Ditto or TR3.

I completely agree that the article needs attention - possibly left as a
guide to recovering data from Zip cartridges. But I'd like it to remain
in some form, even if its a minority interest.

Regards, Frank.