Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 00:24:10 +0100
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, pst@shockwave.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/423: security of sound devices

> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> Date: Tue 16 May, 1995
> Subject: Re: misc/423: security of sound devices

> >The right model is to do the same thing that we do with /dev/console.  If
> >you're logged in at the console (or local X server), you own the sound devices.
> >When you logout, they should go back to root.sound ownership, with no world
> >access.
>
> This model applies to other devices physically near the console.  Joysticks.
> Floppies?  Scanners.  Printers?

It's a difficult line to draw.  Usually on a PC, audio devices and joysticks
are I/O devices associated with the console (in terms of X, they're part of
the display in the same way as the mouse, monitor and keyboard).  This isn't
necessarily true on multi-headed systems.  Scanners and printers, however,
are resources not necessarily monopolised by the user at the console.

		Mark.