Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:57:13 -0700
From:      JL Kottal <jlkottal@pcisys.net>
To:        alane@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: cups-base-1.1.15.1_4

I am completely at my wit's end in trying to get CUPS up and running
under FreeBSD 4.7. I am running a standalone workstation with a HP
Laserjet 4 attached to the parallel port.

Here are the problems:

1. If I try and install CUPS as a package from the 4.7 commercial CD
set, it installs only the base. When I try to access it through the web
interface, it fails saying that it cannot find the resource.

2. If I try and install CUPS (base, lpr, and pstoraster) as packages
using /stand/sysinstall from ftp.freebsd.org, when I try to access it
from the web interface, there is no choice for a parallel device in the
device dropdown box. On my system, under /dev, there is a device for
lpt0, having permissions crw------. If I use the following configuration
file (which I caged from another computer that did work under FreeBSD
4.7) for /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf, I can add the printer from
the command line. It will show up under the command "lpadmin -p -d",
accept print jobs that can be seen using "lpq" but nothing ever prints
at the printer.

    # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.15
    # Written by cupsd on Tue Nov 19 20:05:40 2002
    <DefaultPrinter lj4>
    Info laserjet 4
    DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lpt0
    State Idle
    Accepting Yes
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    </Printer>

3. If I try to install CUPS from /usr/ports/print/cups, it fails with
the following messages:

    In file included from ./src/sdctc.c:20:
    obj/jpeglib_.h:1: jpeglib.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from ./src/sdctc.c:24:
    src/sdct.h:61: field `err' has incomplete type
    src/sdct.h:73: field `err' has incomplete type
    src/sdct.h:75: field `cinfo' has incomplete type
    src/sdct.h:76: field `destination' has incomplete type
    src/sdct.h:87: field `err' has incomplete type
    src/sdct.h:90: field `dinfo' has incomplete type
    src/sdct.h:91: field `source' has incomplete type
    gmake: *** [obj/sdctc.o] Error 1
    *** Error code 2

    Stop in /usr/ports/print/cups-pstoraster.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/print/cups.

This file is on my system at /usr/local/include/jpeglib.h.

This printer can set up either as a PCL and a PS printer. It works as either without problem under Red Hat Linux 7.3 on the same computer, using the same hardware configuration, so I am pretty sure that the problem lies in CUPS.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, as I have tried everything that I can think of.

JL Kottal II