Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 12:08:19 -0700
From:      Samara McCord <mccord@zytek.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMTP vs Spam

>Err. You can send e-mail via POP3. XTND XMIT is the command, and is
>implimented in QPopper and Eudora I believe. I am not aware of any
>other POP servers that have XTND XMIT....

Yikes, this was news to me, as it is to perhaps others running QPopper.
This seems to be a Qualcomm specific thing.  Anyone know otherwise?
Anyway, the current implementation does the following (just do you know):

	1. creates temporary file /var/mail/xmit<pid>
	2. accept message until trailing period
	3. close temporary file
	3. fork
	4. open temporary file as stdin
	5. exec: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -oem
	6. wait for child exit
	7. delete temporary file unless in debug mode

Note that sendmail will read the /etc/sendmail.cf file, even in
this single message mode.  Seems like there are some security
issues here.  Of course the POP connection is authorized before
this can happen, but we'll have to think about the implications of
having direct access to /usr/sbin/sendmail.

Sam