Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 19:10:29 +0200
From:      se@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DAT tape problems

On Apr 18, 14:19, Doug Rabson wrote:
} Subject: DAT tape problems
} I just attempted to read back a dump from a DAT tape to test our backup
} strategy and disturbingly, the file which read back from the tape was
} corrupted.  The directory was intact but when the dump was extracted,
} there was a checksum error on one file and when comparing the extracted
} tree with the original, at least one file had been corrupted.
}
} My DAT drive probes as a 'WangDAT Model 3400DX' and it is set to use
} compression.  Does anyone have an idea what is happening?

DAT drives are supposed to work !

I'm using a HP 1533 DDS-2 drive with good success.

What controller are you using ?

There is special code in the NCR driver, that deals
with certain DAT drives, which don't accept SCSI
messages within an GETCC command. In case you are
using this controller, your particular drive ID
might need to be entered in some table in the driver.

Most other controllers ought to deal with this in
the controller firmware.

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser				Internet:	<se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
 Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen	Tel:		+49 221 4706019