Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:09:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>, <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "VIA '686b southbridge fix applied" & -stable

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Depends, it seems this bug is a combination of mb vendors not
> knowing how to set the config regs of the VIA chips, and the
> SBLive not conforming to the specs. I've had reports that it
> works, but also afew that it doesn't...

I guess the SBLive is not absolutely neccessary to make this bug occur. I
haven't gotten into this issue too deep, but from what I have read, it
seems that this bug might very well also occur if there is no SBLive in
the system. One article claimed that the SBLive puts the PCI bus under
heavier-than-normal stress, which in turn triggers the bug more often.

Furthermore, I guess that all "patches", like VIAs 4-in-1 driver for
Windows (never used that since I don't have Windows) and the FreeBSD patch
are only workarounds. The core of the problem has to be found (and fixed)
in the BIOS, AFAIK. From my own experience, a mobo I own was initially
subject to the bug, but once I updated the BIOS provided by the
manufacturer, I could do whatever I wanted to without ever having any
problems again...

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org