Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 13:31:40 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.

Paul Richards wrote:
> Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> writes:
>
> > We use a lot of Perl at work - and the first thing most of our folk
> > do is install perl5.
> > </ASBESTOS>
>
> I work (as in paid work) entirely in Perl at the moment and spend a lot
> of time in the perl community and the core of that community (as in the
> newsgroups etc), don't even think of perl as being anything other than
> perl5 these days. I suspect if you mentioned a problem with perl4
> they'd just tell you to get perl5 before you come back.

I'm starting to see a lot of this sort of stuff:

    You'll need the following to use Majordomo:
       o  Perl, version 4.036 or version 5.002 (or better)
          **NOTE**  Future versions of Majordomo will *NOT* work
          with perl4.

The writing is *definately* on the wall, the old perl4 is becoming a
liability rather than an asset.

Cheers,
-Peter