Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:55:38 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: helping Wietse help postfix on FreeBSD

On Tuesday,  3 July 2001 at 23:08:57 +0200, Len Conrad wrote:
> I´m trying to gather tuning information for Wietse Venema who says:
>
> "I'm writing a document that describes how to crank up FreeBSD so
> that it can run lots of processes, and so that it can handle lots
> of connections.
>
> Right now, these guidelines vary from sysctl, loader.conf, to
> recompiling a kernel. This is confusing."
>
> Of course, what he means "lots of connections" required by 100´s and
> 100´s of smtp and smtpd processes in postfix.

What system does Wietse normally use?  I've just discovered how very
badly Linux handles a large number of processes, and it's possible
that Wietse thinks that FreeBSD is as bad.  Hundreds of processes are
not an issue; ftp.FreeBSD.org used to handle thousands.  Before we fix
a problem, we should know what it is, and if it even exists.

Greg