Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2012 18:02:57 +1000
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1-RC1 installer [was: FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...]

--------------enigD3513EEEDA2FD71A7E5AE06E

I've just installed an Intel server from a 9.1-RC1 CD. This was my first
encounter with the new installer. I didn't like the look of what the
Auto option showed me for drive partitioning, so I tried Manual and
found that confusing.

I ended up choosing the Shell option for drive partitioning and carved
up the drive exactly as I wanted it, including setting the active
partition [bootme], using gpart(8) and newfs(8). Upon entering the shell
from the menu, a comprehensive message was printed explaining that,
after I had finished creating the new filesystems, I would need to
create an fstab file and then mount the newly-created filesystems. I
followed those instructions and, when I exited the shell, watched the
installation proceed flawlessly and then booted the new system.

So, my installation had a happy ending. I didn't end up with a brick but
I gave up on the menu-driven filesystem creation.

--=20
John Marshall