Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:44:42 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Random 'Connection reset' issues between jails on same host

Hi all,

We're trying to implement our puppet infrastructure, and have discovered =
something strange about TCP connections between jails on the same host. =
As our jails haven't generally been doing a lot of connections between =
each other, this issue hasn't popped up before.=20

We have two 100% equal host systems, on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p4. These =
are 8-core Intel systems, with 16GB RAM each. I have just upgraded one =
of the two systems to 9.0-RELEASE, and it shows the same problem.

When the puppetmaster jail is running on the same host as the jail =
running puppet agent, connections from the puppet agent randomly fails =
with 'Connection reset by peer'. This happens at random stages of =
configuration sync. Now if either of the jails are moved to another =
system (jail stop, zfs snaphot, zfs send/recv, jail start) on the same =
physical network, there are no such problems. It is not a hardware =
issue, as this happens no matter which of the two hosts we use. If both =
puppetmaster and puppet agent reside on the same physical box, the =
errors will show up.

There used to be a somewhat similar problem with FTP between jails on =
the same host, but this was taken care of some time after 8.0-RELEASE =
IIRC. That problem manifested itself in a combination of random =
connection failures (had to try 2-3 times to establish a connection) and =
very slow transfer rates (at most 150kbyte/s between jails on the same =
host, but >50mbyte/s between jails on different hosts on the same =
network).

Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything I have missed, sysctls I =
should set/adjust?

The /etc/rc.conf settings for the jails are very simple - the following =
differing from the default:
jail_sysvipc_allow=3D"YES"
jail_mount_enable=3D"YES"
jail_devfs_enable=3D"YES"

/etc/sysctl.conf contains the following jail-related:
security.jail.enforce_statfs=3D0
security.jail.mount_allowed=3D1
security.jail.allow_raw_sockets=3D1

Thanks,