Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:02:46 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP netserver E50 won't boot

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 10:37:31AM +0100, Stefano Riva wrote:

Thank you for that insight. An update on the situation. I dug out a FreeBSD
2.2.7 CDROM, and installed that on the netserver using a partition entry,
and it worked fine. Booted without any problems. Very strange indeed. Is
it perhaps an issue with 3.0? Maybe the FreeBSD team can look into it.

> At 10.05 30/12/98 +0300, you wrote:
> >We know we can install a small DOS partition and boot off that, or even
> >start with a floppy disk everytime, but this is not what is ideal, since we
> >can't always be around to do that in case of power failure or something.
>
>   First install the HP utility partition using the navigator CD that comes
> with the netserver, then install FreeBSD without modifying the boot sector.
> When booting, the system will show a 10 secs timer for the HP utilities,
> then it'll boot BSD unattended.
>   There are other ways to solve your problem, but IMHO this is the best
> solution, because the HP partition is small and it could be useful
> tomorrow, for example in case of hardware failures.
>
> ---
>
>   Stefano Riva
>   Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
>   Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
>   Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
>   Email sriva@alice.it

Anand

"I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
There's a knob called `brightness', but it doesn't work."
		-- Gallagher