Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 10:00:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      sven@stack.urc.tue.nl (Sven Berkvens)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else think it's about time to beat a WEB server to death?

Hi!

> What I'd most ideally like would be some numbers from a site that's to
> WEB servers what ftp.cdrom.com is to FTP servers, but I'll take whatever
> I can get! :-)
>
> Anyone got any stats they'd like to share?  # of running daemons,
> server used, hits-per-second, hardware used, that kind of thing.

Our site (www.stack.urc.tue.nl) runs on a 486DX/33 with 20 megs of RAM,
Adaptec SCSI controller, three ethernet cards (2 x NE2000 compatible,
1 x WD8003EP). We have half of our data in the machine itself, and
half is NFS mounted from an Ultrix. We get 140.000 hits a day,
totalling between 1.2 GB and 1.4 GB. Of course, a simple calculation
reveals about 2 hits per second. The machine's load average is about
0.5, so it can easily handle it.

I have my own HTTP daemon running, which is not like any existing
daemon, I suppose. It has a fixed number of running daemons (35 in
this case) and uses accept(2) to choose a daemon in a round-robin
fashion, skipping the daemons that are (still) busy.

> If we can't get any actual data from existing WEB service providers,
> or even if we can, might I prevail on someone out there with a
> well-connected box to possibly declare a "flag day", during which as
> many people on this list as possible (and anyone else they can find)
> aggressively attempts to beat the server to its knees while the server
> maintainers busily collect stats on the event?

You may try this, although this daemon is "protected" against
overloading because no more than 35 requests will be handled at
one single time.

> 					Jordan

Sven Berkvens
(sven@stack.urc.tue.nl)