Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 14:16:43 -0600
From:      "Tracy E. Phillips" <tphilips@cedar.netten.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP - No bootable partition

Hi,

i just tried to install 2.2 alpha. i tried everything as i normally do i
comit /dev/wd1 to freebsd so as not to be compatible with other os's.

the install goes fine then when i select bsd in system commander i get

no bootable partition

now this only happens for FreeBSD.  I install redhat linux just to make
sure that i could boot from the partition with lilo being on /dev/hdb1
(/dev/wd1S1). And it booted with no problems. I used linux fdisk to set
the filesytem to dos, reformated in windows95 so that i could start over
from scratch. Same thing happens again. i have tried this several
different ways. I have tried to keep the partition useable with other
os's and gone through the 3 choices for boot management and nothing
seems to be working.

What can i do.

If i use the fixit floppy how do i add the boot record for /dev/wd1 on
the command line. i tried this but did not have a clue as to what to do.
I even read in the "Red Book" by nemeth et al and could not get anything
to work.

Any help would be appreciated more than you will ever know.

i hope i have given enough info, if not i will supply more if you can
ask specific questions

Thanks,

Tracy Phillips