Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 14:29:57 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        smc@servtech.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Elf-Kit and dynamic loading

On Apr 04, 1997 at 10:35:07AM -0800, John Polstra wrote:

> Now suppose you add a new version of the library, "libc.so.4".  You
> change the symlink "libc.so" to point to the new version.  Things
> work out the way they should.  Existing executables that were linked
> against libc.so.3 still will use that same library, because the
> versioned name is recorded in them.  When you build new programs,
> though, they'll use the newest library, because that's where the
> unversioned symlink points now.
>
> I didn't invent it.  I just implemented it. :-)

My first reaction:

   "Oh, yuck.  You mean I have to remember to update a symlink whenever I
    put in a new version of the shared libraries?!"

My second reaction:

   "Oh, good.  Now I have a way of dealing with certain l^Husers
    who insist on having a libc.so.261 on some systems."

I guess there are benefits to this approach.
--
Jonathan