Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:10:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, rssh@grad.kiev.ua, adrian@ubergeeks.com, dyson@iquest.net, wes@softweyr.com, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System V init (was: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?)

Ruslan Shevchenko said:
[Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > OK, but you can do this in System V as well.  I still haven't seen
> > anything that explains what System V init will do (and BSD init won't)
> > that we need to implement automatic startup and stopping of
> > subsystems.
> >

> on SYSV I can say
> init "run-level-less-than-database"
> init "normal-run-level"
>
> and sybsystems whill be closed and started up in stack order.
>
> And SNMP service from pevious example will work.
>
> I. e. in SYSV  dependences between subsystem are implicity stored in
> /etc/rc  dierectory tree.
>  X depend from Y --> X must start after Y ->
> /etc/rc/X.rank > /etc/rc/Y.rank
>    or if X.rank = Y.rank then  S<X-NUMBER>-X bigger than S<Y-NUMBER>-Y
>
> for FreeBSD, I think, ideally is to have explicit graph of dependences,
> in some form, where init-states is marks of nodes on it, and during
> init close all nodes which have rank biggest then argument.
>
> may be in each rc.X implement command 'depend_from' which show
> all programs, after restarting of ones is nessesory to restart X.

I agree:  if it is possible to *improve* on or correct the SYSV
scheme, then do so.  I don't think that it is a good thing to ignore
the advantages.

For those who don't want or need the complexity or advantages of
SYSV init, then they can pretty much ignore it.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid