Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Guidelines for new port version variables

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 02:25:14AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Packages names are constructed according to the following system:
> >
> > ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}[_${PORTREVISION}][,${PORTEPOCH}]
> >
> > 1) PORTREVISION
> >
> > The PORTREVISION variable is a monotonically increasing value which is
> > reset to 0 with every increase of PORTVERSION (i.e. every time a new
> > official vendor release is made), and appended to the package name if
> > non-zero. PORTREVISION is increased each time a change is made to the
> > FreeBSD port which significantly affects the content or stucture of
> > the derived package.
>
> Why isn't it explicitly set to "0" or "1" at the start?  IMO we should
> have a consistent package name. This would require _${PORTREVISION}.
> Otherwise there can be problems with inconsiently named dirs in
> /var/db/pkg

The "_0" is implicit..I didnt think the extra spam on the majority of
packages is needed - besides, it would not be backwards compatible unless
your version parser understands the previous version anyway, at which
point you've not made anything simpler by adding _0 explicitly.

> > Examples of when PORTREVISION should be bumped:
> >
> > 	* Addition of patches to correct security vulnerabilities,
> > 	  bugs, or to add new functionality to the FreeBSD port.
> >
> > 	* Changes to the port makefile to enable or disable
> > 	  compile-time options in the package.
>
> Both of these imply to me that any port with patches/ should start off as
> "_1".

Well, the important thing IMO is registering changes within the port. The
implicit "_0" means "the state of the port when this version was first
imported". For example, when a new version is imported it still contains
all or most of the previous patches (usually) - say for example the
previous version was patched up to _2, and a new version is imported - it
wouldn't be useful to start the next version off at _3, even though it's a
heavily patched copy of the new vendor release.

Kris