Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:07:04 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Pariy, Semion" <Pariy@ibs.msk.su>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD -> NT40 -> printer

Pariy, Semion wrote:

>      Hi!
>
>      how can I install printer on FreeBSD 2.2 , if printer connected to
>      computer with Windows NT40. FreeBSD and NT40 connected to local
>      network?
>
>      Semion Pariy

Install the TCP/IP printing services on the NT machine (it's a standard
part of NT and you install it through the Network applet in the control
panel). Then, define the printer on the NT machine to be shared. It will
now be known by its share name through the lpd protocol, so for FreeBSD
it'll be just like a remote printer connected to a UNIX host (look at
the Handbook for instructions on that).

Note: With NT 4.0 (but not 3.51) you need to print to the printer with
the "-l" flag to lpr if you want NT to leave the data untouched.
Otherwise, NT assumes it's a text file, so if you send a PostScript file
you'll end up with the PostScript source... 3.51 and earlier didn't have
this problem.

Nadav