Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:48:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Oct 20 snap install...

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> >* Why does the kernel think it is booting from sd1 anyway?
>
> What boot name did you use? If you use ``hd(1,a)/kernel'' you should
> be OK. Can't remember - it's been so long since I needed to use it :-)

Hm.... `hd(1,a)/kernel' does work.  I was try `sd(0,a)/kernel' which had
the very counter-intuitive result of booting from wd0.  However, `-r' is a
little quicker to type...

It looks like its time for me to learn about boot code whether I want to
or not!

> >* The difference between FTP active and FTP passive needs to be
> >  documented on the media selection help screen.
>
> I'm not so sure that we need to. If you need to use passive mode FTP
> (as you are behind a packet filtering router (a.k.a. a firewall)), you
> know to look for the option and select it. Otherwise you don't really
> need to touch the setting.

Wrong answer.  The people who need passive don't need the documentation.
The rest, and that would be the majority, will do like I did and go "Huh?
What the hell is the difference between active and passive ftp?"  and not
know which one to select appropriate.  In fact, a better alternative would
be to rephrase the options to be less cryptic, e.g.:

  [ ] FTP (normal)
  [ ] FTP (through a firewall)

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============