Date:      Wed, 02 May 2007 08:30:37 -0400
From:      Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
To:        Arne =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6rner?= <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distributed filesystems

--=-=-=

Arne "W=F6rner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com> wrote:
>> Greg Troxel writes:
>> > Coda (http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/) works well on NetBSD-current, in
>> > which I just fixed the kernel module to conform to updated/simplified
>> ..
>> > There's also arla (afs working client, and server that I'm not sure of
>> > the status).
>> >From a performance perspective would you recommend Coda or Arla?
>>
>> Are distributed filesystems fast enough to handle something like a mails=
tore=20
>> for a busy Imap/pop3 server?=20
>>
> Depends...
>
> Since Imap/pop3 sounds like that services r limited in bandwidth by netwo=
rk
> bandwidth, u just have to care that the network connection between the fi=
le
> servers is fast enough. Then u should just have a little delay (when the =
data
> is sent a second time through the network) but no contention.
>
> Theoretically:
> If the fs does lazy updates (just getting a lock on another server and
> transfering the data later from a local mirror -- like described earlier =
in a
> change request for gmirror), it can do updates as fast as it can transfer=
 data
> to the other server.
> Reading should be a lot faster, if the write-locks r handled intelligentl=
y.

Coda (or any system like it) needs to be used in a way that does not
regularly produce conflicts.   So having multiple clients write is
difficult, especially with the now-normal disconnected mode.  If there's
only one writer, and others read, it will probably be ok.    Some people
put CVS repositories in Coda, but I would never do that - I use remote
CVS to the server.  That means no CVS while disconnected, but it also
means no fs-level conflicts in the repository ,v files.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--