Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:08:12 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, AN <andy@neu.net>
Subject:   Re: Unable to allocate secure memory from gnome-keyring

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 22:06:41 -0500 Jeremy Messenger
<mezz.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM, AN <andy@neu.net> wrote:

> > ** (process:42587): WARNING **: Unable to allocate secure memory
> > from gnome-keyring.
> >

> > ** (process:42587): WARNING **: Proceeding using insecure memory for
> > password fields.
>
> Both of warnings here are known for age. I don't remember exactly why,
> I think it's something that FreeBSD lacks of what Linux has or maybe
> just need to complete port to FreeBSD. I am not sure.

I would expect that this is caused by a failed call to mlock(). Only
root is allowed to do that. I would also expect that this message
disappears, if the executables is marked as SUID-root. If it makes
sense to mark it SUID-root from a security point of view in this case or
not is a different question.

Bye,
Alexander.