Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 19:04:45 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Satoh Junichi <junichi@astec.co.jp>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI LS-120 driver for 3.0-971208-SNAP

> > One significant defect in your driver is that you do not support
> > slices.  This makes it impossible to use the driver for things like Zip
> > disks which come partitioned like harddisks.
>
> I don't know features of the ATAPI Zip drive.
> Does it work as a harddisk?

No.  It's an ATAPI removable, like the LS-120, although not properly
compliant with the specification (it doesn't support the removable
media page, nor does it have 'Floppy' at the end of the device ID
string).

You can use it almost as-is with the wfd driver, however normally Zip
disks are supplied with a partition table on them (like a hard disk).

In order to work with this, the wfd driver has to have slice support.

> The LS-120 drive has no such functions.

Do you mean that the DOS FDISK program will not allow you to put a
partition table on an LS-120 disk?

> Slice codes are not needed.

For the LS-120, maybe not.  For the Zip, they certainly are.

> > Could you perhaps look into adding slice support?
> No.
> But, I'll try to support it, if I get a ATAPI Zip drive.

OK.  There are other problems with the Zip at the moment, so perhaps I
should shelve it a little.  Apart from the slice problems, I was
actually pretty happy with the wfd driver.  If you have a few other
LS-120 users that are reporting it working well, I'd be more than
willing to commit it soon.

mike