Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:53:46 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        Marcelo Gondim <gondim@bsdinfo.com.br>, stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Edward Sanford Sutton III <mirror176@cox.net>
Subject:   Re: Panic with fusefs-ntfs on FreeBSD 9 RC1 amd64

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 18:14, Marcelo Gondim wrote:
>>
>> I installed the package ntfs-fusefs on two different servers and both
>> causes kernel panic when trying to copy anything.
>

> I got panics, too, but found some patch that I attached to ports/169165.
>
> Unfortunately, the maintainer of sysutils/fusefs-kmod (Cced) did not reply
> for the last four weeks.
>
> It could be committed due to a maintainer timeout.

Florian Smeets recently posted ports of updated versions of
fusefs-libs and fusefs-ntfs on ports@ with a call for testing. You
might want to look at that, though I hit a bit of a sticky wicket.
After the upgrade of those ports I could no longer build fusefs-kmod.
:-( If I get some time, I may be able to track the missing declaration
down, but I would not bet on it. Florian said he will look into it
when he has some time, but I have no idea when that might be.

On the other hand, I have found it to be fairly stable. I keep all of
my l of my music and video on an NTFS partition that is available to
both Windows and FreeBSD. Gets fairly heavy use, but it very
read-mostly.

I have used it since at least 8.0 and probably 7.2 on both i386 and
amd64. I can crash it reliably by using rsync to copy files and it
periodically seems to lose some context. All files/directories start
reporting "Non-existent". Resetting the cwd with cd seems to get this
working again, though.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com