Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 1995 12:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        pete@dsw.com (Pete Kruckenberg)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Implementation of ext2fs for FreeBSD 2.2?

> I've heard that the ext2fs (of Linux fame) is being added for FreeBSD
> 2.2. I remember reading several months ago a post by one of the people
> who did ext2fs for Linux, that this time it would be "done right",
> especially the filesystem quotas.
>
> If someone could just take a minute, I'd like to know how ext2fs for
> FreeBSD will differ from the Linux implementation, whether there'll be
> filesystem quotas, and what other improvements it'll offer over ufs and
> ffs.

EXT2FS will initially have the hooks for quotas, but I am not sure that
I'll be testing that feature soon.  It is slower than UFS mostly because the
small block size really exercises the performance of the read/write
loop.  It'll perform approx the same as it does on Linux, even though
it uses our new clustering code.  The EXT2FS code is mostly a derivative
of the UFS code, but a couple of the files are copylefted :-(.  I did not
do the *BSD EXT2FS code, but Godmar Back who works on Lites did.  THANK
YOU GODMAR!!!!  I simply ported/adapted it to FreeBSD.

John
dyson@freebsd.org