Date:      Thu, 27 May 2021 12:00:32 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple question regarding moving zfs filesystems

--Apple-Mail=_E6C0A5C4-C430-497F-9CA4-CDCB08075FCF

On 27 May 2021, at 07:47, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>=20
> Is it the case that, if I want to transfer filesystems from one pool =
> another, that the descendant filesystems/vols will also be =
transferred?
>=20
> lets say there is one zpool called "data" and another called "new"
>=20
> zfs list shows:
>=20
> NAME                 USED   AVAIL     REFER MOUNTPOINT
> data/pkg             32.2K  5.88T     32.2K /usr/local/etc/pkg
> data/poudriere       22.9G  5.88T     31.4K /poudriere
> data/poudriere-bulk  164G   5.88T     164G  /usr/local/poudriere
> data/poudriere/jails 22.9G  5.88T     37.4K /poudriere/jails
> data/vm1             256G   5.88T     256G  -
>=20
> if I do zfs snapshot data@snapshot1 and then:
>=20
> zfs send data@snapshot1 | zfs receive new
>=20
> will what's in data and data/pkg data/poudriere etc appear under new ?
> will characteristics like compression remain the same?
> On data compression=3Dlz4 on new it's zstd.

I think you can use "zfs send -R" to achieve what you want:

         -R, --replicate
                 Generate a replication stream package, which will =
replicate
                 the specified filesystem, and all descendent file =
systems, up
                 to the named snapshot. When received, all properties,
                 snapshots, descendent file systems, and clones are =
preserved.

                 If the -i or -I flags are used in conjunction with the =
-R
                 flag, an incremental replication stream is generated. =
The
                 current values of properties, and current snapshot and =
file
                 system names are set when the stream is received. If =
the -F
                 flag is specified when this stream is received, =
snapshots and
                 file systems that do not exist on the sending side are
                 destroyed.

-Dimitry