Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:10:09 +0200
From:      Erwan Arzur <erwan@netvalue.com>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        Muhammad Najib <najib@kdu.edu.my>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN using IPSec

> >- at the same time allow Internet connectivity throughout the world
> >using NAT
> >
> >I've been understood by the doc that I need to use the 'tunnel mode'
> >instead to achieve this. I followed the documentation in the handbook
> >(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ipsec.html) but failed. Here's the
> >conf files:
>
>         NAT - IPsec interaction will be very tricky, so I will not talk about
>         that.

I tried for hours to get the same kind of network setup than the
original poster, did not
understand why icmp packets were normally coming in the gateway through
the tunnel while the responses were always sent without any kind of
encapsulation, until i discovered that all these packets were natted,
thus never matched by the SPD ...

NAT is not your friend when you try to setup an IPSEC tunnel.
--
UNIX *IS* user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are.
                                                               --unknown