Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 09:58:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        hafner@suncog2.forwiss.tu-muenchen.de (Walter 'madhouse' Hafner)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Two hostadapters in one PC?

> Hello!
>
> I've got a problem with a PC and two SCSI-hostadapters.
>
> My setup:
>
> - Mainboard: ASUS SP3 (486/DX2-66)  (SP3, not 3G !!)
> - NCR 53C810 SCSI-controller on board (rom v. 2.00)
> - Adaptec 1542B in an ISA slot.
> - NEC 31200 (1 GB, HostID 0)
> - DEC 5200 (2 GB, HostID 1)
> - CD-ROM (HostID 6)
> - DAT-Tape (HostID 5)

> Then I connected the NEC drive (HostID 0) to the NCR and the DEC drive
> (HostID 1) to the Adaptec.

When you do this, you may want to set both disk drives to SCSI ID 0,
and enable the adaptec BIOS.  This should make both drives show
up under DOS and FreeBSD.

> When I booted DOS, the NEC at the NCR was found and the Adaptec wasn't
> tested. DOS fdisk only found the drive at the NCR and there was no way
> to reach the drive at the Adaptec.

See above about setting the drive on the Adaptec to 0, it will only
install a DOS compatible drive for a scsi ID of 1 if it also installed
a DOS compatible drive for a scsi ID of 0.  Since the adaptec did not
see a drive on it's scsi bus at ID 0 it will not install any DOS
compatible drive.

> When I booted FreeBSD (from the boot-floppy), first the Adaptec was
> probed and the DEC (HostID 1, BSD/OS) was correctly identified (sd0).
> Aswell as the external devices. Then the NCR was probed and the NEC
> (HostID 0, DOS, FreeBSD) was correctly identified (sd1).

Okay, this tells me that the Adaptec BIOS is probed first by the
system BIOS, this is the normal situation.

> Up to now my setup was NEC: sd0 and DEC sd1. So I switched my
> configuration again and compiled a new FreeBSD kernel with root and swap
> on sd1, switched back again and booted from floppy (My bootloader
> still pointed to sd0 ...). I stopped before the kernel was loaded and
> tried to load one manually:
>
> hd(1,a)/kernel ... Strange Error-messages and sudden death. Some
> one-liner about disk error (sorry, I don't have my machine at hand).

Ahh the hd device name is a compatibility hack for when you have
both IDE disk drives and SCSI disk drives.  Since you do *NOT* have
any IDE drives (or at leaset you did not tell us about any) you
should be using sd(1,a)/kernel.

> hd(0,a)/kernel ... found the kernel ... strange enough on sd1 ... found
> all devices as outlined above and then died with "couldn't mount root
> device". (I compiled the kernel with root on sd1). A newly compiled
> kernel with sd0 as root device gave the same result.

Thats because hd(0,a) says to use the device wd0 as root, you have no
wd0 drive.

> I never tried to boot BSD/OS: It was just too late yesterday. When I
> come home today I'll try it.

Fix the scsi ID's first and start using sd(0,a)/kernel and sd(1,a)/kernel
and things should be much better for you.

> I still can think of two or three things to try ... but on the whole I'm
> quite clueless what I do wrong. I would be very glad if someone out
> there could enlighten me.

If you continue to have problems send me some more email, I'll see
what I can figure out for you.

> Thanks in advance.
Your welcome.