Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:54:01 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014504841.1059d2@mired.org>
To:        Carl Tucker <cft@panix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping to single user

Carl Tucker <cft@panix.com> types:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 10:19:34AM -0500, Sandro Mancuso wrote:
> > Hi, not long ago, someone mentioned =93dropping to single user=94 a=
nd I was
> > wondering how.  I did get an answer, however I=92ve =93misplaced=94=
 that
> > reply, so I=92m wondering if anyone can refresh my memory=85 regard=
ing how
> > to do such a thing without having to reboot after doing make buildw=
orld,
> > and building/installing the generic kernel (having to do with upgra=
ding
> > from 4.4 to 4.5stable=85 etc)
> 'shutdown now' will drop you into single-user mode without unmounting=

> all your filesystems or rebooting.  After you install a new kernel, t=
hough,
> I would think you need to do an actual reboot to get it in memory.
> I could be wrong.

You're not wrong. The only way to install a new kernel is to reboot
the system. If you're upgrading the software, you are *strongly*
encourage to boot the new kernel before upgrading any other
software. That way, if it fails it's easy to go back to the old
situation. If you upgrade the rest of the system and it fails, you
wind up trying to fix things with the old kernel and new userland,
which may be arbitrarily difficult.

=09<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more inform=