Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:46:37 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Fixes

>What is the best way to determine whether a security fix has been
>committed to the -stable source tree?
>
>I specifically am curious about the rfork and procfs bugs and whether I
>should continue using local patches from this and other mailing lists or
>whether the cvsup I just completed took care of all this for me...

   The patches that were finally committed are somewhat different than the
ones that were on the mailing lists. In at least one case, the posted fix
had logic and grammer errors. ...so you probably do want to get the official
fixes.

>Actually, digging through the cvsweb, I was able to see the procfs change
>committed yesterday, but I'm stumped on where to look for the rfork
>problem, as the patch I have is an LKM...

   The rfork hole was fixed in kern_exec.c by unsharing the file descriptor
table (the file descriptors themselves remain shared, however).

-DG

David Greenman