Date:      Sat, 29 Feb 2020 12:10:55 -0800
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        Sean Yeh <sean.yeh117@gmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ALTQ feature of PF in FreeBSD

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 05:27:42 -0800 Sean Yeh sean=2Eyeh117@gmail=2Ecom said
>=20
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:37 PM Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge=2Ecom> wrote:
>=20
> > On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 15:35:23 -0800 Sean Yeh sean=2Eyeh117@gmail=2Ecom said
> >
> > > Hi FreeBSD-pf members,
> > >
> > > I hope you guys are enjoying your weekend!
> > >
> > > I was wondering if any of you happened to know if the code for the AL=
TQ
> > > feature of pf could be separated and used for NetBSD's pf function=2E I=
'm
> > > currently investigating methods to improve NetBSD's ALTQ feature, whi=
ch
> > > hasn't been updated in 15+ years:
> > > https://wiki=2Enetbsd=2Eorg/projects/project/altq/
> > >
> > > According to the man pages of freeBSD's pf function, FreeBSD uses a
> > > modified pf of openBSD 4=2E5 pf function=2E Are there any complications t=
hat
> > > you foresee trying to port FreeBSD's current ALTQ code into NetBSD?
> > In all honesty=2E If you have to ask=2E You will likely find it challenging=
=2E
> > ;) ;)
> > But *please* don't let that discourage you!
> > If you're a kernel hacker, and or have a good eye for patterns=2E You sho=
uld
> > be able to find the similarities by different names to match them up=2E
> > But that doesn't mean that in the end it'll work=2E I haven't personally
> > made any comparisons=2E I'm only familiar with the FreeBSD variety=2E
> >
> > My 2=C2=A2 FWIW :)
> >
> > --Chris
> > FreeBSD 14=2E0-FUTURE #0=2E000 cray256
> >

> > > Thank you for all your help,
> > >
> > > Sean
> reflowed for context=2E Because top posting is evil
>=20
> Hi Chris (and FreeBSD-pf members),
>=20
> Thanks for the advice!
>=20
> Truth be told, I am quite lost right now=2E But before I give up, could you
> please point me in the right direction?
>=20
> 1) Figuring out if ALTQ is separable from pf is a little abstract to me=2E
> Is there a definitive experiment to perform to answer this question?
> Currently, I'm just looking and taking note of the differences between
> NetBSD's and FreeBSD's pf/altq code=2E What other steps should I be
> taking?
First off, let me state=2E That you're intentions are admirable, and what
follows is not intended to be denigrating in any way=2E
That said; my first statement still holds=2E Many have wanted to take on
and make improvements, and changes to the pf(4), and altq(4) source --
more so to pf=2E But quickly discovered the sheer complexity of the
routines, and algos of the source=2E I could liken them to crypto routines=2E
Many of these were seasoned programmers/hackers=2E So the code is brittle,
and resistant to change except to those well familiar=2E
If you're the tenacious type, like myself=2E I would say your first step
needs to become well familiar with the source=2E Immerse yourself in it=2E
You'll quickly discover that you need to become familiar with the kernel
source, as well=2E Oh, and you're a net guru=2E Right? ;)

I'm serious=2E That's what it's going to take, to have any meaningful
conversation regarding the changes you propose -- and I'm happy to have
them with you=2E If you want to proceed=2E :)

If I haven't scared you off=2E I'll look forward to hearing from you=2E :)

--Chris