Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:49:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gateway? (I read all TFM's - really!)

Please could someone tell me THE TRICK:

This is my small home-lan:

             rl0     rl1         rl0
    *---------*       *----------*
    |  small  *-------*   big    *----*
    *---------*       *----------*    | tun0
192.168.10.2	    192.168.10.1      |
                                  *---*-------*
				  | DSL-modem *-----*
				  *-----------*     |

						    *
                                                internet

small and big run FreeBSD4.3-RELEASE . small and big can
ping, ftp and telnet each other (by name as well as by
IP-address). big can reach the colourful world of the internet.
But: small cannot get there.
# ping www.freebsd.org
will result in
cannot resolve www.freebsd.org: hostname lookup failure

I will give you the output of big's and small's
# netstat -r

big:
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            217.5.116.17       UGSc        4      383   tun0
localhost          localhost          UH          0        0    lo0
192.168.10         link#2             UC          0        0    rl1
217.5.116.17       pD90172ED.dip.t-di UH          5        0   tun0

small:
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            big                UGSc        0        0    rl0
localhost          localhost          UH          0        0    lo0
192.168.10         link#1             UC          1        0    rl0
big                0:50:fc:3a:f1:1a   UHLW        1       35    rl0   1200

Thanks for your help.
(I hope I did not publish any sensitive data with this.)

Uli.