Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, archie@FreeBSD.org, will@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Export controlled ports

On 13 Jul 2000, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> Ok.  So we are going to ditch rsaref and use the international version
> of OpenSSL after the patent expires, right?

That would be a good goal, and shouldn't be too difficult. In fact you
could probably do reverse shims which map RSAREF API calls into OpenSSL
ones (i.e. the exact opposite of the OpenSSL->RSAREF ones currently in
OpenSSL :-) I should check with the OpenSSL guys to see if they plan to do
this.

> Hmm.  I guess we should keep those disabled for now then.
>
> Does someone want to go check the licenses of all the ports I listed?
> (Will, you've got a few hours to kill? ;)

The ones which explicitly mention export probably should stay disabled,
but it would be good to attempt to contact the author for
exemption/relicensing prior to the freeze. e.g. cfs (by Matt Blaze, he of
the sniffed EBay account password at USENIX :-) should be pretty easy to
get relicensed.

Kris