Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:07:50 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

>[Various people on what should comprise the definitive worldstone...]

Unless everyone has identical configurations (which would kinda miss the
point), it's not going to be possible to level the playing field. Eg:

- -pipe and/or -jx don't help unless you have enough real memory

- multiple spindles seem to help a lot: I got well under 2h (not accurately
timed, unfortunately) burning in a K6-200 with 2x4.4G Quantum Atlas on a
2940UW

- do the rules allow turning off daemons to free up memory while building?

Also, the target time (whatever that is) is going to change over time. I've
seeing significant changes in build time on the same machine with the same
options over a period of months: I may post something on this subject.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK