Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:15:24 -0700
From:      "Kerry Davis" <kedavis@uswest.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   puzzlement

According to readme.txt and install.txt that I read from the FreeBSD 4.1
CD-ROM that I got, what I'm doing should work.  In fact, it's specifically
recommended.  And yet it doesn't work, and other people tell me not to do
it.

I started out by installing DOS in a small (200 meg) partition on the first
drive (IBM 2 gig SCSI, on a Qlogic 1080 card), along with IDE CD-ROM
drivers, which is how I read the readme.txt and install.txt files.

Then I created the 2 boot/install floppies from makeflp.bat (which is an
issue to me right there:  why can't there just be a DOS install program on
the CD?  seems like that couldn't be any more difficult than putting
together the 2-floppy "bootstrap" thing), and booted from those

Everything seemed to go more or less okay, as it looked.  But after the
installation is completed, my system won't reboot.  Even if I change the
boot sequence to C: Only, it goes through the POST stuff, then goes to the
floppy drive and stays there.

Other people tell me that I should just get rid of the DOS partition and use
the whole drive for BSD.  But considering the "documentation" that I got on
the CD, specifically recommends keeping a small DOS partition "for
emergencies", why doesn't it actually WORK?

Kerry Davis
Phoenix,  AZ

kedavis@uswest.net