Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:53:42 -0400
From:      "Martin Laflamme" <martin@marketbridge.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Initial floppy install 5.2.1 fails - error: fatal trap 9

Hi,

Initial floppy install with 5.2.1.
We have 12 PCs for a classroom which are completely identical.  They =
have a P4P800-VM motherboard with updated BIOS.  The CPU is Intel 2.8 =
GHZ.  For the strangest reason, the install worked on 1 machine and =
failed on all the others we tried it on.  It is NOT the diskettes as we =
are using the same physical install diskettes for all these machines.  =
We thought it may be a BIOS problem - we checked the functionning system =
against all the other system - they are identical.  We have one other =
system which is different than the others and the install went also =
fine.

Now, the install works without a problem with 4.10 floppies.  Any idea?  =
It seems to fail before is starts to detect the pci-isa bridge but it =
was not an issue with our first machine.

pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached)
pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)

Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
cpuid =3D 0; apic id =3D 00
instruction pointer     =3D 0x58:0x2d6c
stack pointer           =3D 0x10:0xf80
frame pointer           =3D 0x10:0x0
code segment            =3D base 0xc00f0000, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b
                        =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 0, gran 0
processor eflags        =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process         =3D 0 (swapper)
trap number             =3D 9
panic: general protection fault

---